Leaders of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation (CTUIR) recognized the importance of tribal member-owned businesses operating on the Reservation and also recognized the importance of providing on-reservation small business assistance. In 1998, tribal leaders and ONABEN – a Native American Business Network signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) outlining how CTUIR and ONABEN would collaborate to provide small business development services on the Umatilla Indian Reservation. This led to the establishment of Business Development Services (formerly the Business Service Center) and enabled us to provide a broad range of accessible community-based services, including culturally specific business curriculum, financial coaching, technical assistance, and financial & entrepreneurship education for youth and adults.
Twenty-three years later, we’ve merged with Homeownership and Lending Services under the umbrella of Nixyaawii Community Financial Services. Our program’s mission remains focused on assisting Native Americans in the development and expansion of small business. Our services are available to Tribal members, their families, and Tribal employees and their families.
You may have an idea for a business, but don’t know where to start or maybe you are an existing business owner who wants to expand. Our confidential one-on-one business counseling can guide you through the process.
Business Development provides technical services such as:
- Reference library – Utilize our reference library for your business research. We have books, Entrepreneur Start-up Guides, videos, and business magazines.
- Office equipment – Enjoy free use of basic office equipment. Need access to a scanner, color printer, fax machine, or computer? Stop by our office!
- Access to capital – We can connect you to the appropriate resources.
- Promotion – Promote your business through our online, searchable business directory, website, and annual business showcase.
- Business classes and workshops – We offer specialty and skill-specific workshops based on demand.
- Individual Business Coaching – Our staff and partners will provide the support and assistance you need to guide you through your business development process.
Financial and Entrepreneurship Education (Adult & Youth)
Setting goals, budgeting, saving, spending, borrowing, using credit — these are just a few types of knowledge, skills, and behaviors people need to manage their resources effectively.
Our training opportunities fit our community needs, and yours, by helping you better understand your financial options for overall financial well-being. We offer a variety of tools for both adults and youth such as classes, workshops, and one-on-one coaching.
A financial coach is available to help you reach your financial goals. Learn how to build savings or pay down debt, for example, with stronger money management skills. Improve your financial literacy and your money habits with the assistance of our financial coach.
Our coaches can help you:
- Understand your spending habits.
- Create a budget.
- Outline a financial plan.
- Understand the emotional components of dealing with money.
- Learn how to establish an emergency fund.
- Manage debt.